Women who have taken part in the practice speak of the many benefits, despite lack of evidence. It is clear that more research needs to be conducted to determine the benefits of placenta consumption.
The claimed possible benefits are:
• Make for a happier, more enjoyable post-natal period.
• Decrease in post-partum depression levels.
• Increase energy levels.
• Nutritional value.
• Pain relief.
• Increase in the release of the hormone oxytocin, which helps the uterus return to normal size, encourages bonding with the infant and also increases overall wellbeing.
• Increase the release of Corticotropin Releasing Hormone (CRH), a stress-reducing hormone which helps the mother to deal with stress and anxiety better and may help prevent post-partum depression.
• Increase in Placental Opioid Enhancing Factor (POEF) which, enhances already available opioids. It can help increase pain-relief and lead to better moods.
• Increase in Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) helps regulate the thyroid and boost energy.
• Increase in the hormone Prolactin, which increases the mother’s milk production and enables a good supply for the newborn baby.
• Replenish depleted iron levels in the blood which helps the mother recover from blood loss, gives more energy and plays a big role in helping prevent postpartum depression.
Placenta Preparation is not a fad, it is an ancient art form, serving more mothers than ever before.
Click on each image to find out more ...